Saturday, July 30, 2011

Daffodil palette in the color wheel

Yesterday, I shared one of my favorite color palettes for choosing threads for temari - a palette based on colors from a photo of daffodil blooms against a blue sky.

It seems too easy! Just to satisfy my need to look at how these colors are arranged on the color wheel, I returned to Kuler to play around with their interactive wheel. To get there, click on "Create" and then on "From a Color." Wow! What fun it is to slide around the wheel creating an infinite number of color combinations!



Here is the photo of the temari I stitched with the daffodil palette and Kuler's selection of colors. I did a little tweaking by moving the circles in the photo until I got the colors from my daffodil photo.

Daffodil palette - green, blue and yellow/orange

Two of the main colors in the palette, yellow/orange and deep blue, are directly opposite each other on the wheel so they are complimentary. I clicked "Complimentary" to reach this screen:

Complimentary colors are opposite on the wheel

Then click on "Analogous," set the main color as green, and slide the dots so there are two shades of blue and two shades of yellow/orange.

Analogous colors are side-by-side on the wheel

It's nice to know why I like this group of colors so much. It's based on color wheel theory.

Have to share this - a little music that makes me smile! I hope you like it, too.