Friday, April 25, 2014

More about Carolina, a temari stitcher who spends time in two very different parts of the world!

The other day I shared Carolina's blog post about her trip to Guatemala. Those smiling faces reminded me of posts that I wrote when I began this blog - all about kindred sisters. I wanted to know more about Carolina and she has responded with some interesting tidbits. 



Thanks for being a part of our temari world, Carolina! 

***
Kindred (adjective): having the same belief, attitude, or feeling.
Sister (noun): a female friend regarded as a sister.
***

Where do you live? Tell us about your town.
I spend 5 winter months in Monteverde in Costa Rica, a very small town in the mountains of Costa Rica where the bird watching and weather are great. There isn’t much in the way of temari embroidery threads but I can get coffee husks which I use for the core of my balls here. I also can buy yarn and thread. So I bring a lot of embroidery thread with me. The rest of the year I am in Madison, Wisconsin. I definitely have ball containment issues in both homes. I’m occasionally able to part with temari as gifts but they do tend to pile up. 

What language do you speak? 
Not that it helps with making temari but besides English I speak Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian and Indonesian. 

When did you begin making temari? 
3 years ago. 

How often do you stitch temari - every day? Once a week? Occasionally? 
Several times a week usually. 

How do you come up with your patterns? Follow directions in books? Web? Make your own?
I follow instructions in your books Barb and use a lot of patterns from the web. I love the stitch alongs on Temari Challenge and TemariKai. I have done a few patterns from Japanese books I own, but some I can’t figure out (yet). Sometimes I can figure out a pattern by looking at a photo. I spend (too much) time looking at photos of temari on the web. I always choose my own colors but have only made a few of my own patterns. 

What is your favorite thread? 
Cotton perle 5.

Do you teach temari? Tell us about your classes. 
I’ve shown a few people the basics but not in a formal class. That may come. 

Do you display temari in stores or craft or art shows? 
I’ve had one display at my local public library in Madison. 

What are your goals for future temari making? 
Continue exploring more patterns and all the wonderful colors. I hope to start creating more of my own patterns or variations. I never really now where temari is going to lead me. 

best wishes, 
Carolina